Sunday, January 17, 2010

L'église

For all of you who were praying for my finding of a church, I think it has been done, and thank you! Calvary Chapel Paris, at 7 years old, is truly the smallest church I’ve ever been too, but it’s also the friendliest. Throughout my long metro trip there, I prayed for a sign if it was truly the Parisian Protestant church for me (not that I have many other choices…) I was met with a down to earth sermon, in French, warning us not to demand signs from God- it is not up to us to control him. Indeed it is not. I’m here to learn French, but my clear and present signs from God at church this morning were two conversations in Swahili, one with a medical student from the Congo, and another with a Floridian missionary who came to Paris from Kenya. We melanged these langues over plates full of spaghetti after the service, and I’ve never felt more at home. Thank God that his kingdom can be found everywhere, and that his plans for us are always surprising.

I usually spend my evenings over a stack of French flashcards, but tonight I’m pulling out my Swahili ones. It’s a good reminder of why I’m here.

PS As you may have guessed, I’m still far from becoming a fashionista, but my boots do have a rather large hole from trekking clear across the city and back in the rain. Perhaps I’ll have to go shopping. Like I said, you never know what might happen!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! Good luck with your boot search! Remember Everything i taught you! (or maybe not, since the boots I picked still have holes on them. :)) I'm so glad you found a church! God provides exactly what we need!

    ReplyDelete